How the process works
STEP 2: Confirm where to apply.
Some provinces are co-delivering the Oil to Heat Pump Affordability program with the Government of Canada. If you are a resident of one of these provinces, please apply through the provincial program:
Applicants living in other provinces or territories, please continue reading.
STEP 3: Log in to the Canada Greener Homes portal and apply.
To apply to the Oil to Heat Pump Affordability program, log in to the Canada Greener Homes portal by using one of the following two options:
- Sign in with your Sign in Partner account, which uses the login information you use for your online banking (no financial information will be requested).
- Sign in using your GCKey. This is different from your CRA GCKey. Learn more about GCKey or call 1-855-438-1102 or TTY 1-855-438-1103 for technical difficulties.
Log in the same way each time to avoid technical issues with your application.
Once you have logged in to the Canada Greener Homes portal, select "New Application for the Oil to Heat Pump Affordability program".
To apply, you will need to provide:
- your name, contact information and the address of your primary residence
- type of house
- proof of ownership (property tax bill. Your tax bill must match the name and address on your application)
- proof of primary residence (valid, government-issued identification, such as a driver’s license. Your identification must match the name and address on your application)
- income levels and size of household
- your Social Insurance Number (which we will use to verify with Canada Revenue Agency that your household income is “median or below”) Check if your income level is eligible.
- Recent home heating oil fuel receipts, bills or invoices that show at least 1,000 litres of oil purchased over the 12 months leading up to the time of application. If we are not able to confirm you have purchased at least 1,000 litres, we may follow-up for more information, which could slow down your journey.
- the selected contractor(s) quote(s) for all eligible measures you are requesting funding for. Quotes must include the following details:
- applicant’s name and address
- a description of the work that will be undertaken, including the make and model of equipment, and the number of heat pumps installed
- amount to be paid
- the Air-Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) number(s) for each cold climate air-source heat pump system(s) you intend to have installed
- Be sure the contractor will be able to install the equipment within 6 months and that they will sign the attestation form (PDF, 135 kb) at the time of installation, confirming that the cold climate air source heat pump is capable of distributing heat throughout your entire home! (You will need to submit this form after the work is complete.)
We recommend obtaining at least 3 quotes to ensure you receive value for your money and choose the best contractor for your project, however, you are only required to upload the quote for the system you select. Be sure the quote has enough information for us to confirm your heat pump is eligible. If it does not, we will have to follow-up with you for more information and this could slow down your journey.
In many cases homeowners will hire multiple contractors to complete different phases of the work. Submit all the relevant quotes from each contractor you intend to hire when you apply, because your grant amount will be based on this information and only one grant payment will be issued per household.
- If you intend to hire one contractor to remove your oil tank and another contractor to install the cold climate air source heat pump system, you need to submit the quotes from each contractor.
- If you submit only the quote for the heat pump when you apply, you will receive a payment based on that quote only.
- You will not be able to submit other quotes later.
STEP 4: Accept your grant amount
Once program staff have reviewed your application and the information you provided, you will receive an email confirming your eligibility. If you are eligible, and you accept the grant amount, your grant will be issued as quickly as within 5-10 business days.
The upfront grant payment must be used towards the purchase and installation of an eligible cold climate air source heat pump and the program eligible measures. Natural Resources Canada would request repayment and take action to recover the funds if necessary. Please ensure that you fully read and understand the eligible measures, technical criteria and conditions.
Step 5: Complete your project within 6 months and submit your receipts
In all the excitement of getting a new heat pump, don’t forget to ensure the contractor you hire signs an attestation form confirming that the cold climate air source heat pump system(s) is capable of distributing heat throughout your entire home. You must submit the attestation form signed by your mechanical system contractor.
Attestation form (PDF, 135 kb)
Once all the work has been completed, and paid for, login to the Canada Greener Homes portal to submit your final receipts and attestation form.
This should be completed within 6 months of receiving your grant payment. You will need to keep copies of your documents until March 31, 2028. The federal grants are not taxable and do not have to be declared as income.
Step 6: Complete your journey
Program officers will review your final receipts and attestation form and email you about the next steps. For some homeowners, this will be the end of your journey. For other homeowners, you may be contacted to arrange for post-payment verification of the heat-pump installation and all eligible measures for which you received funding.
Please note, the upfront grant payment must be used towards the purchase and installation of an eligible cold climate air source heat pump and the program eligible measures, Natural Resources Canada would request repayment and take action to recover the funds if necessary. Please ensure that you fully read and understand the eligible measures, technical criteria and conditions.
Resources for applicants
Other financial incentives
Need a loan for your other retrofits?
The Canada Greener Homes Loan is an interest-free loan of up to $40,000 with a repayment term of 10 years, open to homeowners who have an active application (at the pre-retrofit stage) with the Canada Greener Homes Grant.
Monday to Friday: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm (Eastern time)
Oil to Heat Pump Affordability program inquiries:
- Phone: 1-833-674-8282
- TTY: 1-800-465-7735
- Email: OHPA-CAMT@nrcan-rncan.gc.ca
Canada Greener Homes Loan inquiries
- Phone: 1-866-292-9517
- Email: Questions@cghli.ca
- Date modified: