National Tree Seed Centre
The National Tree Seed Centre (NTSC) maintains a dynamic living library of Canada’s forest genetic resources. The NTSC has over 13,000 unique seed collections from over 200 tree and shrub species – the most diverse collection of its kind in Canada. The centre is located at the Canadian Forest Service’s Atlantic Forestry Centre in Fredericton, New Brunswick. At the centre, we:
- provide small quantities of seed for scientific research
- collect, test and store seed collections
- offer seed collection training and data
The quality of our seed collections, coupled with our expertise in storage and germination testing, makes the NTSC an important resource for:
- tree and shrub breeding
About the National Tree Seed Centre
The NTSC was established in 1967 with the focus of obtaining, storing and providing tree and shrub seed of known origin for research. Since then, the mandate of the centre has grown to include the conservation of genetic resources under threat from invasive pests, pathogens and climate change.
Since 2004, the NTSC has supported tree conservation strategies to respond to urgent forest health threats across multiple jurisdictions. Working in collaboration with local experts, the NTSC continues to build representative collections for future restoration of butternut (Juglans cinerea) and five species of ash (Fraxinus spp.).
We are also working to:
- conserve eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) in Eastern Canada
- conserve limber pine (Pinus flexilis) and whitebark pine (Pinus albicaulis) in Western Canada
- develop new protocols for storing challenging species such as oak (Quercus spp.), and cucumber tree (Magnolia acuminata)
With our cryopreservation and greenhouse facilities in Fredericton and across Canada, the Canadian Forest Service has the tools to support resistance and genomic research. These resources will help protect Canada’s biodiversity today and long into the future.
Contact the NTSC
Atlantic Forestry Centre, National Tree Seed Centre
1350 Regent Street
Fredericton NB E3C 2G6
If shipping seeds to the NTSC, please follow our guidelines.
For more information contact the National Tree Seed Centre.
- Canadian Forest Genetics Association Tree Seed Working Group's news bulletin
- International Seed Testing Association
- Association of Official Seed Analysts
- Silvics of North America: Volume 1 – Conifers
- Silvics of North America: Volume 2 – Hardwoods
- Woody Plant Seed Manual
- Date modified: