Non-Destructive Testing Certification Body Coronavirus Pandemic Program Updates
In April 2020, the NRCan NDTCB implemented temporary accommodations and extensions relating to initial certifications and renewals/recertifications for select candidates and expiry dates likely to be broadly affected by the coronavirus pandemic. Some of these extensions have already expired, with all extensions for renewal and recertification expiring by December 2024. It is the responsibility of certification candidates and certificate holders to keep track of all expiry dates and due dates and manage their applications and certifications accordingly. Please read the information below for full details.
At this time, all certification processing and services have resumed full production. During the coronavirus pandemic the NDTCB reduced certification ID card and ‘Declaration of Achievement’ printing—we are currently working on printing and issuing the back-log of certification ID cards and ‘Declarations of Achievement’, and we will resume full, regular production in the near-future. If you are waiting to receive a certification ID cards and/or ‘Declarations of Achievement’, please ensure that the NDTCB has your most up-to-date mailing address and contact information.
Current accommodations and extensions:
The following information is a summary of current coronavirus pandemic accommodations and extensions implemented by the NRCan NDTCB. For full details and supplementary verification of certification status, please download and read the NRCan NDTCB COVID-19 Temporary Extension Policy Notice (PDF, 183 kb). The appropriate extension accommodations will be applied automatically (no need for candidate to submit a request) without re-issuance of the corresponding paperwork or documents. These temporary accommodations and extensions may be amended or applied as required. Please check our website regularly for further updates. For more details, please contact our office.
Non-destructive testing (NDT) renewal and recertification
- A 24-month extension for NDT renewal and NDT recertification candidates who have certifications that expired from April 15, 2020 to December 31, 2022. This 24-month extension is applied to the applicable expiry date(s) listed on your certification ID card, and the Directory of Certified Personnel.
Non-destructive testing (NDT) initial certification
- A 24-month extension for NDT initial certification candidates who have examinations in process that expire(d) from March 15, 2020 to December 31, 2024. This 24-month extension is applied to the applicable expiry date(s) listed on your most recent examination results letter.
Non-destructive testing (NDT) annual vision test
- A 24-month extension for NDT certificate holders who were due to complete their annual vision test requirement from March 16, 2020 to December 31, 2022.
X-ray fluorescence (XRF) analyzer operator renewal and recertification
- A 24-month extension for XRF renewal and XRF recertification candidates who have certifications that expired from March 16, 2020 to December 31, 2022. This 24-month extension is applied to the applicable expiry date listed on your certification ID card, and the Directory of Certified Personnel.
Exposure device operator (EDO) NRCan photo ID card renewal
- A 24-month extension for EDO photo ID cards that expired from March 16, 2020 to December 31, 2022. This 24-month extension is applied to the applicable expiry date listed on your EDO ID card.
Additional information about coronavirus pandemic accommodations and extensions:
- Please note that it is important for all clients to review all the policies and conditions relating to coronavirus pandemic accommodations and extensions.
- Certification requirements and processing that can be completed via form-filling and document submission (with mail or electronic communication) or remote access should be pursued and supported by all candidates, employers, and the NDTCB network.
- Affected candidates/certificate holders shall maintain continuity and competence in the method(s) they are certified in and must recertify or renew by the end of their (extended) period of validity.
- Affected candidates/certificate holders shall perform certification/renewal/recertification requirements and examinations as soon as possible, even if they are still temporarily covered by the extension period.
- The original certification expiry and validity time cycle period will be unaffected by the extension accommodation policy; the NDTCB is providing a temporary extension. For example, a candidate that was originally due for recertification April 15, 2022 that now has an extension until April 15, 2024 to complete recertification, will still be due to renew by April 15, 2027, and after that will still be due to recertify by April 15, 2032.
- While at this time, the initial NDT certification process extension applies to expiry dates from March 16, 2020 to December 31, 2024, we encourage candidates to complete their examinations and certification requirements as soon as possible.
- For candidates whose recertification or examination expiry dates are not covered by the current accommodations/extensions, but who may wish to submit requests for additional accommodations or review of their eligibility, we recommend that they keep all records and/or documentation related to their efforts, attempts and actions to fulfill such recertification or examination requirements. The NDTCB may request this supporting documentation for review and justification of an individual’s submission.
Contacting and communicating with the NDTCB:
At this time, we are maintaining communication services via email and telephone, and by mail (as necessary). We are not providing in-person client services at our local office at this time. We encourage clients to provide the NRCan NDTCB with your most up-to-date personal email address, telephone number, and mailing address to avoid interruptions in communication.
For all telephone inquiries, please call our main telephone line: 1-866-858-0473
For email inquiries, send your emails to our main inboxes listed below:
NRCan NDTCB main inbox: firstname.lastname@example.org
NRCan renewal and recertification: email@example.com
EDO written examination: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date modified: