Language selection



An explosives factory is a fixed site for the manufacture of blasting explosives, ammunition, fireworks, etc., or in the case of bulk explosives manufacturing, the site with the facilities necessary to clean, decontaminate and repair vehicles that support satellite sites, customer sites and temporary sites from which trials and demonstrations may be conducted and where the manufacture of product occurs.

The guidelines and standards developed by the Explosives Regulatory Division (ERD) must be followed when a site for the manufacture of explosives is developed.

For the minimum requirements for factories and satellites:

Factories that manufacture ammunition, propellants, rockets, fireworks and packaged explosives have unique requirements and fee structures (see Explosives Regulations, Part 19). All fees are based on a 12-month renewal cycle.

Types of licences and certificates

In general, Division 1 factory licences and satellite site certificates are used for large operations, while Division 2 factory licences and manufacturing certificates are issued for smaller operations.

Licenses are issued for long-term sites.

Certificates are issued for sites that are temporary and occasional.  A temporary site is operated for a period of time (e.g., not longer than two years).  An occasional site is not in operation frequently or continuously (e.g., used no more than 2 days per week or no more than 20 days per year).

To determine what type of licence will be required when explosives are manufactured:

  • Review the manufacturing activities that do not need a licence or certificate (see Explosives Regulations, Part 5, Division 3).
  • If the planned activity is not found in Division 3, review the manufacturing activities listed in Division 2 section 107. If the activity falls under those mentioned in this section, and the maximum amounts of explosives mentioned for specific operations in this section are not exceeded, a Division 2 licence or certificate will be required.
  • If the planned activity does not fall under those listed for Division 2, or if the amounts of explosives will exceed the limits mentioned in Division 2, then a Division 1 licence will be required.
Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: