An ENERGY STAR® certified dishwasher uses 12% less energy and 30% less water on average, than a standard model. Certified dishwashers feature the latest innovative technology, which has improved dramatically over the last decade, to maximize the energy, water, and monetary savings for users. These combined savings help reduce your carbon footprint and protect our lakes, streams and oceans.
Benefits of ENERGY STAR certified dishwashers
- Special soil sensors test how dirty the dishes are throughout the wash and adjust the cycle to achieve optimum cleaning with minimum water and energy use.
- Improved water filtration removes food soils from the wash water allowing efficient use of detergent and water throughout the cycle. The final clean-water rinse assures your dishes come out sparkling.
- More efficient jets use less energy to spray detergent and water over the dishes.
- Innovative dish rack designs maximize cleaning by strategically situating the dishes.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
Start your research using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder tool to find and compare certified dishwashers (You will be redirected to the U.S. ENERGY STAR website).
Why should you choose ENERGY STAR?
Reduce your at-home energy consumption
Keep your home comfortable
Reduce your carbon footprint
Tips for choosing an energy efficient dishwasher
- Choose a model with the “air dry” feature and use it.
- When choosing between similar models, take a close look at the EnerGuide label and use this handy comparison tool to learn how much energy they’ll use each year and over the lifetime of the product. And remember… The lower the number the better!
- Dishwashers that have earned the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient designation are the best of the best – they’ll save you more energy than standard models.
How to use your dishwasher efficiently
- Scrape and go. Rinsing excess food (especially with hot water) wastes water, energy and time. Scrape your dishes, load them into the dishwasher, and let it do its job!
- Run full loads when possible. Put all dishwasher safe items in the dishwasher including bulkier items like pots and pans. Remember that lighter loads can still be more efficient that handwashing dishes especially if you have an ENERGY STAR certified dishwasher. They use less than 15 litres of water per cycle while a running faucet can use up to 15 litres every 2 minutes.
- Use the built-in setting that matches your load. Many dishwashers use sensors to evaluate the dirtiness of the rinse water and adjusts the wash duration to save energy and possibly water.
Regulations set the energy efficiency minimum
Dishwashers are subject to Canada's Energy Efficiency Regulations, which set a minimum performance standard for their energy efficiency. Find details in the Guide to the Regulations.
Related blog posts
Connect with us
Follow us on any of our social media channels for energy-efficient tips, rebates, giveaways and much more.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.
- Date modified: