Language selection


Eligible property types

The following property types are eligible for program funding. Note that the images shown next to the property type definitions are examples only and should not be interpreted as the only representation under these property types. Verify your property type with your energy advisor.

Ineligible under the Canada Greener Homes Initiative:

New homes and new additions to existing homes (6 months or newer based on the date of occupancy by the first homeowner) are not eligible for the Canada Greener Homes Grant or the Oil to Heat Pump Affordability program.


Single and semi-detached houses

Single detached: A dwelling unitFootnote 1 with walls and roofs independent of any other building. If two houses are connected only through a garage or an unheated space, both houses are considered to be detached.
Semi-detached: A set of two dwelling units separated from each other by one vertical division termed a “party wall”. Each dwelling unit is identified as “semi-detached” and evaluated separately.

Townhomes and row housing

Townhomes and row housing: A style of home that shares one or more walls with adjacent properties but has its own entrances. Townhomes have multiple floors whereas row housing can have one or more floors. Their styles vary based on the number of walls shared with neighbours. Row house (end unit), row house (middle unit) and back-to-back townhome are examples of this property type.

Mobile homes (on a permanent foundation)

Mobile home: A movable dwelling unit designed and constructed to be transported by road on its own chassis to a site and placed on a permanent foundation such as blocks, posts or a pad.

Permanently moored floating homes

Permanently moored floating home: A structure floating in water that incorporates a flotation system that maintains the building envelope above the waterline (typically greater than 400 mm [15.75 in.]) under normal load conditions. The floating home is not primarily intended for, or usable in, navigation and does not include a watercraft designed or intended for navigation.

Low-rise multi-unit residential buildings

Low-rise multi-unit residential building (MURB): A three-storey building or less with a footprint of 600 m2 or less that contains between 2 and 100 units. A MURBFootnote 2 must be either fully or partially stacked (up/down) or joined by a common area and must have a private entrance either from the outside of the building or from a common space. A low-rise apartment building, triplex, duplex, or house with a secondary suiteFootnote 3 are examples of MURBs.

Canada Greener Homes Grant applicants: Learn more about MURBs

Ineligible for the Oil to Heat Pump Affordability program (OHPA):

Low-rise multi-unit residential buildings with more than 2 units are not eligible for the OHPA program.

Mixed-use buildings (residential portion only)

Mixed-use building (residential portion only): A building that is a mix of residential and non-residential occupancies (that is, residential housing combined with either commercial or retail space in any of the eligible property types). The combined total floor area of the non-residential spaces must be less than that of the residential spaces (that is, areas used for dwelling units and common spaces). It also must not exceed 300 m², excluding parking garages that serve residential occupancies.
Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: