Energy efficiency in existing buildings
As Canada's economy grows, so too does our built environment. As we continue to shift toward a knowledge-based and service-oriented economy, the share of the commercial and institutional buildings will follow.
Statistics show that between 1990 and 2010, the commercial buildings sector grew by 22 percent. Buildings in this sector used roughly 1,057 petajoules of energy, or about 12 percent of Canada’s energy use.
In most commercial buildings, most of that energy is used for lighting, heating and cooling, motors for large equipment such as elevators, and water heating.Footnote 1
Need help? We can help.
The Office of Energy Efficiency has programs, tools and other resources you need to benchmark your energy performance, recommission your building, and train your staff to achieve your energy - and cost - saving goals.
Improve energy efficiency using a whole-building approach
Most buildings are upgraded bit by bit as their components age and need repair. Often, a better way to improve energy efficiency is to use a whole-building approach and take advantage of the opportunity to implement deep retrofits. The upfront cost may be more, but the potential long-term savings will be greater over the life of the building.
Energy management for buildings
Building performance, best practices, energy benchmarking, ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager, energy management training.
Energy benchmarking for buildings
Energy management key steps, best practices, resources, performance analysis, energy benchmarking using ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager, ENERGY STAR certification, buildings of the future.
Existing Building Commissioning
Natural Resources Canada’s Recommissioning (RCx) Guide, advanced training, financial support, commissioning resources.
Tuning Up: A Framework for Existing Building Commissioning
Tuning Up, a framework developed by the Existing Building Commissioning (EBCx) Working Group, focuses on broadening awareness of EBCx and highlights key actions for increasing its use in commercial, institutional and multi-unit residential buildings.
The key actions can be used to develop new programs and activities or be integrated into existing approaches.
Efficient Heating, Ventilation and Air conditioning (HVAC) Operation during a Pandemic: Self-evaluation Tool and Guide
Natural Resources Canada’s self-assessment Tool and Guide provides feedback on the impact of your HVAC strategies during and after pandemics.
Energy-efficiency retrofits, minor retrofits and major retrofits.
Energy benchmarking best practices
Energy management tips, tools, methods and approaches to integrate energy efficiency in your existing building.
- ATHENA® Impact Estimator for Buildings, Athena Sustainable Materials Institute
- Engage upper management, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®), Canada Green Building Council
- The North American Green Purchasing Initiative's ECO-S.A.T.: A Green Purchasing Self Assessment Tool, The Commission for Environmental Cooperation (2004)
- Your Environmental Management Tool Box, The International Network for Environmental Management
- Energy Benchmarking Report: 2010 to 2015 Results - Performance of the Canadian Office Sector, Real Property Association of Canada (2017)
Energy benchmarking with ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager
- Benchmarking training resources
- Benchmark with EPA's ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Live and recorded Benchmarking training webinars, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Service Providers That Exchange Data with Portfolio Manager via Web Services, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- ENERGY STAR and K–12 Schools, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Get started with the benchmarking starter kit, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- ENERGY STAR Data Trends, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager Data Collection Worksheet, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- ENERGY STAR Training (online), United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Exchanging Data: Resources to help you Get Started, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Login page: ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Portfolio Manager Quick Start Guide, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Portfolio Manager Tools and Resources, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Facility Energy Management Matrix, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Building Commissioning and Recommissioning, Office of Energy Efficiency (2012)
Energy management best practices
- The ENERGY STAR Guidelines for Energy Management, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- ISO 50001: 2011 Energy Management Systems Standard, International Standards Association (2011)
- Date modified: