Energy management tools, data, fact sheets and guides
Energy management resources
Find the information you need to effectively manage energy consumption in commercial and industrial environments.
Tools for complying with energy codes
National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings: Compliance Checklists
NRCan and the National Research Council Canada (NRC) have developed Microsoft Excel-based compliance checklists to assist with demonstrating compliance with the prescriptive, trade-off, or performance paths for each edition of the National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings (NECB), (including NECB 2020).
In Canada, provinces and territories regulate the design and construction of new buildings. While the national model codes including the NECB are prepared centrally, adoption of the codes is the responsibility of provincial and territorial authorities having jurisdiction. Authorities having jurisdiction, including provinces and municipalities, may adopt or adapt the NECB. Prior to using the NECB compliance checklists to verify compliance, it is important to check with your local authority having jurisdiction to determine if they have their own adapted compliance tools or checklists that would supersede the NECB compliance checklists offered by NRCan/NRC.
For more information or to obtain a copy of the checklist, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
CAN-QUEST energy modelling software
Notice: As of March 31, 2023, Natural Resources Canada will no longer maintain, develop, or offer support for the CAN-QUEST energy modelling software.
CAN-QUEST was originally designed to help demonstrate compliance with NECB 2011. However, given that most Canadian authorities having jurisdiction have adopted more recent versions of the NECB (2015, 2017, 2020), or their equivalent, CAN-QUEST is now considered a legacy tool.
Note that compliance with the NECB performance path can be demonstrated using any ANSI/ASHRAE 140-compliant software tool.
NRCan will continue to support the building energy modelling community through the creation of training materials, guides, and by providing capacity-building tools that help with NECB adoption and compliance.
CAN-QUEST remains available without support. Click this link to download the program.
For a copy of the modelling guide, please email email@example.com.
Other useful tools and software
- Explore how NRCan’s RETScreen® software can help evaluate energy-efficient technologies.
- See how the free ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager® tool can help with energy benchmarking.
Data and analysis
Find detailed reports on trends and statistics of energy use in Canada:
- ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager Data Snapshots for Canadian Buildings (2019)
- Survey of Commercial and Institutional Energy Use - Buildings (2014)
- Survey of Commercial and Institutional Energy Use - Buildings (2009)
- Survey of Energy Consumption of Arenas (2014)
- Energy Efficiency Trends in Canada 1990–2017, Office of Energy Efficiency
- Survey on the Design of Radiant Systems for Commercial Buildings in Canada
Access key information on a variety of topics related to energy efficiency and energy management in new and existing buildings.
Explore Natural Resources Canada’s (NRCan) EcoENERGY Efficiency for Buildings program
Find information on the program related to:
- Canada’s National Energy Code
- Energy management resources for buildings
- Building commissioning and recommissioning
Investigate Government of Canada energy performance programs
- Learn how NRCan’s Greening Government Services (formerly “Federal Buildings Initiative”) is improving energy performance in government-owned and- operated buildings.
- Read about ways owners and investors can reduce occupancy costs in Building Recommissioning for Commercial and Institutional Buildings.
Use these helpful primers, guides and other NRCan publications on developing, implementing, operating and assessing an energy-performance program:
- Energy Management Training Primer
- Energy Management Best Practices Guide for Commercial and Institutional Buildings
- Guidelines for Energy Management - for Buildings and Industrial Facilities (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- Improve Your Building's Energy Performance: Energy Benchmarking Primer
- Energy Performance Contracting: Guide for Federal Buildings
- Implementing an Energy Efficiency Awareness Program
- Building Operation Optimization: Recommissioning Guide For Building Owners and Managers
For more information on energy management data, fact sheets and guides, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date modified: