Forward Regulatory Plan
Natural Resources Canada’s (NRCan) Forward Regulatory Plan for 2022 to 2024 is a publicly available list, with descriptions, of planned or anticipated regulatory changes (regulatory initiatives) that NRCan intends to propose or finalize in that period. The Plan may include regulatory initiatives that are planned to come forward over a longer time frame and that are indicated as long-term.
Forward Regulatory Plans are intended to help Canadians, including businesses, Indigenous peoples and trading partners, plan for opportunities to provide their feedback during regulatory development, and plan for future regulatory changes.
NRCan’s Forward Regulatory Plan briefly describes each regulatory initiative and includes information such as:
- who may be affected by a regulatory initiative
- regulatory cooperation efforts undertaken or planned
- opportunities for public consultation
- links to related information or analysis
- NRCan’s contact information
Some of the initiatives in this plan may be associated with NRCan’s multi-year plan to review its existing regulations (stock review plan).
The Forward Regulatory Plan will be updated over time to reflect new developments, such as progress in regulatory development, or changes to NRCan’s regulatory priorities or its operation environment.
Consult NRCan’s acts and regulations web page for:
- a list of acts and regulations administered by NRCan
- further information on NRCan’s implementation of government-wide regulatory management initiatives
Forward Regulatory Plan: 2022-2024
This Forward Regulatory Plan provides information on regulatory initiatives that Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) aims to propose or finalize in the next 2 years through:
- pre-publication in the Canada Gazette, Part I
- final publication in the Canada Gazette, Part II
The Forward Regulatory Plan may also include regulatory initiatives that are planned to come forward over a longer time frame. Comments or enquiries can be made using the contact information included with each regulatory initiative.
- Amendments to Canada’s Energy Efficiency Regulations, 2016
- Amendments to the Explosives Regulations, 2013 (Associated with the Stock Review Plan)
- Amendments to the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Cost Recovery Regulations (Associated with the Stock Review Plan)
- Designated Officers Regulations
- Frontier and Offshore Regulatory Renewal Initiative (FORRI) Framework Regulations (Associated with the Stock Review Plan)
- Indigenous Ministerial Arrangements Regulations
- Offshore Renewable Energy Regulations Initiative
- Pipeline Claims Tribunal Regulations
- Clean Technology: Targeted Regulatory Review – Regulatory Roadmap
Forward Regulatory Plan: Canada Energy Regulator
Forward Regulatory Plan: Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
Regulatory Stock Review Plan: Natural Resources Canada
Consult the following for links to the Cabinet Directive on Regulation and supporting policies and guidance, and for information on government-wide regulatory initiatives implemented by departments and agencies across the Government of Canada:
To learn about upcoming or ongoing consultations on proposed federal regulations, visit:
- Date modified: