Renewing Your XRF Analyzer Operator Certification
NRCan NDTCB Service fees update
The NRCan NDTCB is implementing a service fees update to existing fees; this update will take effect April 1, 2023. Application and fee submissions to the NRCan NDTCB that are postmarked, emailed or faxed after March 31, 2023 are subject to the new fee schedule.
New Electronic Payment System
The NDTCB has introduced an important update to its program for all users. An electronic payment system has been introduced to provide flexibility when applying for certification. Pre-authorized payment included with an application will still be processed. If payment is needed to process your application, you will receive a specific email from the NRCan NDTCB providing you with the appropriate payment link to our secure online payment system.
Renewing your x-ray fluorescence (XRF) certification extends its period of validity by five (5) years from the date of issue of initial certification or last recertification.
As an XRF operator, it is your responsibility to be aware of the date on which your XRF certification expires, and whether you are required to renew or recertify. As your expiry date approaches, you should apply to the Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) Non-Destructive Testing Certification Body (NDTCB) for renewal or recertification. NRCan will not notify you that it is time for renewal or recertification. To find out when you are due for renewal and/or recertification, view the Certified Personnel Directory.
Certification renewal steps for XRF operators
To apply for XRF certification renewal, you are required to submit:
- A completed Application Form for XRF Analyzer Operator Certification, Renewal and Recertification (select “renewal” on page 1) (PDF, 714 kb)
- Application and examination fees (see below for more information)
- Vision Test Report Form for XRF Personnel (PDF, 597 kb)
- NRCan National Non-Destructive Testing Certification Body Code of Conduct (PDF, 583 kb)
- Continued Satisfactory XRF Work Activity Form (PDF, 570 kb)
- Two (2) passport-style photographs (required approximately every 10 years). The passport photographs must:
- measure 5 cm wide X 7 cm high (2 inches wide X 2-3/4 inches high)
- be taken by a commercial photographer and be professionally printed on photographic paper
- commercial photographer: may be provided through a retail location, photo studio, registered business/organization, or NDTCB accepted RTO/AEC.
- be clear, sharp, in focus, and in full colour
- be taken straight on with your face and shoulders centered and squared to the camera
- reflect your current appearance (taken within the last twelve (12) months)
- show your complete name, as well as the name and complete address of the photo studio and the date the photo was taken on the back of one photo
- be submitted, via mail or courier
Note: Self-taken and/or self-printed photographs and non-passport-style photographs will not be accepted. We may request additional photographs at any time if we deem previously submitted photographs unacceptable.
The fee to renew your XRF certification is $110, payable to the Receiver General for Canada.
- If you are renewing past your expiry date, an additional late renewal fee of $55 is required.
- If more than 365 days have passed since your certification expired, renewal is not an option. You will need to recertify.
- Fees and other process requirements are subject to change. All fees are subject to the current fee schedule in effect.
We accept company cheques, money orders and credit cards (MasterCard, Visa or American Express). We do not accept personal cheques. Company cheques and money orders are payable to the Receiver General for Canada. Payments from other government departments must be made via inter-departmental FIS transactions. Please note that all fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. To protect your payment information, we ask that all forms containing credit card information (MasterCard, Visa, AMEX) be submitted via fax or mail only. Do not send credit card information by e-mail. If you have any questions, please call 1-866-858-0473.
Continued Satisfactory XRF Work Activity
When applying for your XRF Analyzer Operator certification renewal you must provide a completed “Continued Satisfactory XRF Work Activity Form” as documentary evidence of continued satisfactory XRF work activity. The work activity must be attested to by a sponsor who is an NRCan NDTCB certified XRF or NDT personnel or the candidate’s employer/supervisor.
Work activity requirements:
The renewal applicant must have continued satisfactory XRF work activity without significant interruption during their most recent period of validity. Examples of acceptable XRF work activity are:
- XRF non-destructive testing/evaluation work;
- Attending or providing/delivering XRF related courses, seminars, workshops or presentations which may be available through an academic institution, an NDT training centre, a conference or an XRF device manufacturer representative.
A significant interruption in work activity is defined as an absence or a change in activity that prevents the qualified individual from practicing the duties corresponding to the XRF level for:
- A continuous period in excess of 365 days;
- Two or more periods for a total time exceeding two years.
Applicants who have a significant interruption or who have not renewed more than 365 days after their expiry date will not be able to renew their certifications and are required to recertify.
NRCan NDTCB makes all reasonable efforts to ensure candidate applications, examination requests and certification submissions are completed as per service standard targets. Despite these efforts, errors, omissions and delays are possible. We are not responsible for any direct and indirect costs, expenses or delays that may arise.
- Date modified: