Recertifying as an XRF Analyzer Operator
NRCan NDTCB Service fees update
The NRCan NDTCB is implementing a service fees update to existing fees; this update will take effect April 1, 2023. Application and fee submissions to the NRCan NDTCB that are postmarked, emailed or faxed after March 31, 2023 are subject to the new fee schedule.
New Electronic Payment System
The NDTCB has introduced an important update to its program for all users. An electronic payment system has been introduced to provide flexibility when applying for certification. Pre-authorized payment included with an application will still be processed. If payment is needed to process your application, you will receive a specific email from the NRCan NDTCB providing you with the appropriate payment link to our secure online payment system.
As a certified x-ray fluorescence (XRF) analyzer operator, you will need to recertify your XRF certification at the end of each second period of validity (every 10 years)—or following a significant interruption, or if you fail to renew more than 365 days past your expiry date—by taking one or more examinations.
You are expected to be aware of the expiry date of your certification, and to apply to the Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) Non-Destructive Testing Certification Body (NDTCB) for renewal or recertification as it approaches. The NRCan NDTCB does not notify operators when it is time for renewal or recertification. To find out when you are due for renewal and/or recertification, view the Certified Personnel Directory.
Recertification steps for XRF operators
If you are recertifying as an XRF analyzer operator, and it has been more than five years since you received satisfactory training in the XRF level for which you are recertifying, you must complete XRF training before you can apply for recertification. For information on XRF training requirements, please see XRF Analyzer Operator Training Requirements.
To apply for XRF recertification, you are required to submit:
- A completed Application Form for XRF Analyzer Operator Certification, Renewal and Recertification (select “recertification” on page 1) (PDF, 714 kb)
- Application and examination registration fees (see below for more information)
- Vision Test Report Form for XRF Personnel (PDF, 597 kb)
- NRCan National Non-Destructive Testing Certification Body Code of Conduct (PDF, 583 kb)
- XRF Training Declaration Form (PDF, 554 kb)
- Two (2) passport-style photographs (required approximately every 10 years). The passport photographs must:
- measure 5 cm wide X 7 cm high (2 inches wide X 2-3/4 inches high)
- be taken by a commercial photographer and be professionally printed on photographic paper
- commercial photographer: may be provided through a retail location, photo studio, registered business/organization, or NDTCB accepted RTO/AEC.
- be clear, sharp, in focus, and in full colour
- be taken straight on with your face and shoulders centered and squared to the camera
- reflect your current appearance (taken within the last twelve (12) months)
- show your complete name, as well as the name and complete address of the photo studio and the date the photo was taken on the back of one photo
- be submitted, via mail or courier
Note: Self-taken and/or self-printed photographs and non-passport-style photographs will not be accepted. We may request additional photographs at any time if we deem previously submitted photographs unacceptable.
XRF recertification examinations
You may register for your examination(s) at an Authorized Examination Centre (AEC), Special Written Examination Centre (SWEC), or Special XRF Examination Centre (SXEC) once you receive approval and an XRF examination admittance and registration form from the NRCan NDTCB.
For more information on how to register for and where to complete your examinations, please see XRF Examination and Re-Examination.
We accept company cheques, money orders and credit cards (MasterCard, Visa or American Express). We do not accept personal cheques. Company cheques and money orders are payable to the Receiver General for Canada. If paying by credit card, print the name shown on the credit card, card number, expiry date and authorized payment amount, and include the cardholder signature. Payments from other government departments must be made via inter-departmental FIS transactions.
To protect your payment information, we ask that all forms containing credit card information (MasterCard, Visa, American Express) be submitted via fax or mail only. Do not send credit card information by e-mail. If you have any questions, please call 1-866-858-0473.
Please note that all fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. Examination Centre fees are payable directly to the examination centre. Fees and other process requirements are subject to change. All fees are subject to the current fee schedule in effect. Fees are shown in the table below.
|NRCan NDTCB Fees||Examination Centre Fees (Suggested)|
|NRCan NDTCB Application Fee||$130||-|
|Level 1 Exam||$65||$60|
|Level 1 Totals||$195||$60|
|Level 2 Exam||$40||$35|
|Level 2 Totals||$235||$95|
NRCan NDTCB makes all reasonable efforts to ensure candidate applications, examination requests and certification submissions are completed as per service standard targets. Despite these efforts, errors, omissions and delays are possible. We are not responsible for any direct and indirect costs, expenses or delays that may arise.
- Date modified: