Language selection


Buying, selling and storing ammunition and propellant powders

The requirements to buy, sell and store ammunition, propellant powders and blank cartridges for tools and primers (percussion caps) depend on the type and quantity. You must be 18 or older to handle ammunition and propellant powders unless exempted by the Explosives Act or Explosives Regulations. This requirement does not apply to a person who acquires ammunition (small arms cartridges) for their own personal use.

The following guidance is for anyone buying, selling and/or storing ammunition (small arms cartridges) and propellant powders (black and smokeless powder), as well as blank cartridges for tools and primers. For situations not covered here, including exemptions and conditions, consult the Explosives Regulations.


Services and information


Buying, selling and storing ammunition for firearms or guns, also called small arms cartridges.

Black powder

Buying, selling and storing black powder, also known as gunpowder.

Smokeless powder

Buying, selling and storing smokeless powder.

Blank cartridges for tools

Buying, selling and storing blank cartridges that are used in tools such as powder-actuated nail guns.


Buying, selling and storing primers, also known as percussion caps.

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: