Canada Greener Homes Initiative 2022 Quarterly Update
As Summer 2022 comes to a close, the Canada Greener Homes Grant is moving well into its second year. Operating under the banner of the Canada Greener Homes Initiative (CGHI), the Grant and the recently-launched Canada Greener Homes Loan are working together to help more homeowners across the country lower their energy costs, make their homes more comfortable, and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions at a time when affordability and climate action have never been more important.
CGHI by the numbers as of September 6, 2022
Since May 2021, we have issued $69 million in grants to almost 19,000 homeowners across Canada.
Since June 2022, more than 3,200 homeowners have applied for new, interest-free, up to $40,000 retrofit loan.
As of September 6, 2022, a total of over 196,000 grant applications have been received through the national portal and up to 60,000 through our partners in Quebec and Nova Scotia. The Canada Greener Homes Initiative has been extremely popular with homeowners, with over 38,000 applications received during the first week of the program being launched.
The Canada Greener Homes Initiative has issued $69 million in grants to almost 19,000 homeowners, including more than $4 million to 1,650 homeowners in Quebec and Nova Scotia, and close to $2 million in loans nationwide. As of September 6, nearly 9% of homeowners who have completed all steps have received their rebate.
Since the Canada Greener Homes Loan launched on June 17, 2022 more than 3,200Footnote 1 homeowners have applied for a Loan. The CGHI loan of up to $40,000 is interest free, repayable over 10 years, and helps finance the purchase and installation of new eligible products that have been recommended by an energy advisor, are eligible for the grant and have not been commenced or completed in advance of the homeowner’s loan application. Early interest in the loan indicates there are many Canadians who are committed to improving the energy efficiency and resiliency of their homes through deeper retrofits like solar panels, windows and heat pumps, which the loan helps make more financially feasible.
I am very pleased with my experience with the Greener Homes program. The Energy Advisors were very helpful and made the process easy. The website portal was efficient and worked well, and I received the grant money in a reasonable amount of time.
How we’re serving you better
1. Improved processing times and reduced backlog
To meet the interest of Canadian homeowners and the volume of applicants, we have worked hard to issue payments within our service standard of 40 business days from the time we receive the final receipts and required documentation from the homeowner. Currently we are meeting this standard 92% of the time, and getting faster as we go so that homeowners receive their grant payments as quickly as possible.
2. Homeowners have access to more energy advisors and reduced wait times
As service organizations across the country respond to high demand, they are hiring more energy advisors, creating green jobs across the country as well as reducing wait times for homeowners booking their pre and post-retrofit evaluations. There are currently 18 projects underway to support the recruitment and training of energy advisors, including the recent hiring of 19 new advisors in Manitoba. And, we continue to support energy evaluation blitzes in remote communities, including most recently in Northern Ontario, Manitoba and Newfoundland, where energy advisors visited homeowners in 25 different communities. If you are having trouble finding or accessing a service organization, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Canada Greener Home interest-free loan now accessible to even more homeowners
The Canada Greener Homes Loan is now open to homeowners who have already received a full or partial grant and want to apply to the Loan for any remaining eligible and recommended retrofits still to be undertaken. Learn more about the loan eligibility criteria.
4. Duplexes and homes with a secondary suite have improved incentives
Homeowners of duplexes and those with a secondary suite, such as a basement apartment or an in-law suite, now have access to more grant incentives thanks to recent changes in the program. Resident owners of these building types are now eligible for up to $5,000 in grants for the purchase and installation of a qualifying heat pump and water heater equipment. Please contact your service organization or visit our website for more information.
Did you know?
Heat pumps continue to be one of the most popular Greener Homes retrofits. Replacing your old oil furnace with a new energy efficient heat pump can help drive down your winter heating costs an average $3,500 a year, which means your new heat pump could pay for itself in just a few short years! We are updating our eligible products lists every three months, so homeowners have more choice when it comes to purchasing and installing a qualifying heat pump. Apply today!
Help us help you
Here are 3 new tips for homeowners applying for the Canada Greener Homes Initiative:
- Invest in your building envelope first…or next! Our building science experts recommend you first invest in your home’s envelope — insulation, windows and doors, and air sealing — so that you can reduce your energy needs before taking on other retrofits like a new heating system. That said, if you have already installed a new heat pump or solar panels, it's not too late. We recommend focusing on the envelope as the next step in your homeowner journey. Your Renovation Upgrade Report is a great roadmap to help you plan your retrofits.
- Quebec and Nova Scotia participants, we see you. Once our provincial partners have shared your contact information with us, we’ll be in touch. Meanwhile, please have your receipts ready so our program officers can make their determinations quickly. Always ensure to check your junk email folder for an email prompting you for this information.
- Working together. If you are a resident owner of a home that is in a low-rise multi unit residential building, and you or your neighbours are interested in participating in the Canada Greener Homes Initiative, please visit our website at or write to us at email@example.com for more information on how to take advantage of the initiative. We have specialized program officers available to help you!
- Date modified: