Apply for the EDO Written Examination
To register for the exposure device operator (EDO) written examination, simply send a completed and signed application form to the Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) National Non-Destructive Testing Certification Body (NDTCB) along with other required documents (see below).
Steps to take
- Download the required PDF forms (see “What to include” below) and complete them on your computer or by hand in legible printing.
- Review your completed application for accuracy and completeness.
- Include additional required items: passport photos with the Photograph Verification Form, copies of identification on the Identification Verification Form and fees.
- Sign and submit. Sign your application, gather your photos and supporting documents, have your verifications signed, enclose your fees, and mail or fax your complete application to the Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) Non-Destructive Testing Certification Body (NDTCB).
What to include in your application package
1. Include the following forms, signed and dated:
- Application Form for Exposure Device Operator (EDO) Examination (PDF, 693 kb)
- Photograph Verification Form (PDF, 592 kb)
- Identification Verification Form (PDF, 550.19 kb)
2. Also include:
- Your fees (see application form for payment instructions)
- Two passport photos
To protect your payment information, we ask that all forms containing credit card information (MasterCard, Visa, American Express) be submitted via fax or mail only. Do not send credit card information by e-mail. If you have any questions, please call 1-866-858-0473.
Please see the paragraphs below for detailed instructions about passport photos and identification.
Passport photo instructions
If you will be registering with NDTCB for the first time, you must provide two passport photographs with a completed Photograph Verification Form, signed by your employer or by a professional individual as listed on the form. The passport photos must:
- measure 5 cm wide X 7 cm high (2 inches wide X 2-3/4 inches high)
- be taken by a commercial photographer and be professionally printed on photographic paper
- be clear, sharp, in focus, and in full colour
- be taken straight on with the face and shoulders centered and squared to the camera
- reflect your current appearance (taken within the last twelve (12) months)
- show your complete name, as well as the name and complete address of the photo studio and the date the photo was taken on the back of one photo
- be submitted, via mail or courier
Self-taken and/or self-printed photographs and non-passport photographs will not be accepted. We may request additional photographs at any time if we deem previously submitted photographs unacceptable.
Please submit verified true copies of two (2) valid pieces of Canadian Government recognized identity documents on a completed Identification Verification Form, signed by your employer or by a professional individual as listed on the form. Examples of acceptable proof of ID are a passport, driver’s license, military identification, certificate of Indian Status, or a provincial or territorial health card that includes your photo and signature (excluding Alberta, Manitoba, and Newfoundland and Labrador).
- One of these documents must have the applicants’ full legal name, date of birth, photo & signature.
- If you have already applied to the NDTCB for NDT or X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) analyzer operator certification and have submitted one of these documents, then you only need to submit one (1) piece of ID.
- Documents in a language other than English or French must be translated.
Taking the exam
All eligible EDO candidates will be provided with an email confirming their eligibility for written examination. The email will contain information on how to register for the electronic examination at an examination centre.
You should bring the following items to examinations:
- Printed copy of booking confirmation email from the electronic examination system provider
- Valid government issued photo identification
- Non-programmable scientific calculator with no internet connectivity
Re-examination for EDO certification
Read about how to register for written re-examination for EDO certification.
Fees for EDO examinations
Consult detailed information about the fees involved in writing EDO examinations.
- Date modified: