Funding for Indigenous-led clean production capacity projects
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until funding is no longer available.
We recognize the unique opportunity clean fuels present for Indigenous businesses and communities and encourage Indigenous participation on all projects. We have designed a distinct process with measures to increase funding of Indigenous-led clean production capacity projects in Canada.
Working with feedback from Indigenous peoples
This program was informed by feedback from our Request for Information for interested Indigenous businesses and communities through which we collected information, assessed project readiness, and gauged interest.
Who can apply?
Indigenous organizations or registered Indigenous businesses or communities including not-for-profit and for-profit organizations that can demonstrate a minimum of 50% Indigenous ownership, which can include:
- Indigenous Communities
- Development corporations
- Electricity or gas utilities
- Private sector companies
- Industry associations
- Research associations
- Standards development organizations
- Academic institutions
What projects are eligible?
- Capital clean fuel production projects that use fuel production technologies in advanced stages of technological readiness and that are designed for commercial deployment.
- Feasibility studies, basic engineering studies and detailed front-end engineering studies to assess the new build or expansion of low carbon fuel production facilities. In addition, feasibility studies to assess the techno-economic feasibility of blending hydrogen into natural gas systems.
- Applicants may apply for a Feasibility study, a Front End Engineering Design study or a Production project as separate applications. Applicants may also apply for an End-to-End project via a single application.
All projects must be completed and facilities commissioned by March 31, 2026.
- Call for project proposals opens: February 11, 2022
- Deadline to submit your project proposals: ongoing
- Begin the review process
- Completeness review: ongoing
- Mandatory criteria review: ongoing
- Evaluation Committee: ongoing
- Investment Committee validation: ongoing
- Final project decision: ongoing
- Initiate contribution agreements with successful applicants: ongoing
- Program completion date: March 31, 2026
Steps to apply
Read the Applicant’s Guide to determine your eligibility:
Applicant Guide and Forms
Complete and submit your project proposal by email or mail.
c/o Clean Fuels Fund – Building New Domestic Production Capacity – Indigenous-Led Projects
580 Booth Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0E4
Our goal is to achieve our service standards a minimum of 80% of the time under normal circumstances:
- Acknowledge to general inquiries made to our email address within 1 business day
- Respond to general inquiries made to our email address within 5 business days
- Assess your application and send you an approval or a rejection notification letter within 120 business days
- Send you a draft proposed agreement for review within 30 business days of issuing an approval notification letter
- Review your payment claim within 15 business days
- Send you a payment within 30 business days of receipt of a duly completed and documented payment claim
Funding the build-out of Indigenous-led production capacity projects will:
Email the Clean Fuels Funds
- Date modified: