Language selection


Act and Regulations

If you work with explosives, you should be familiar with the details of the Explosives Act and the Explosives Regulations, 2013. Briefly, the Act:

  • requires anyone working with explosives to have a licence, certificate or permit issued by the Minister of Natural Resources;
  • makes exceptions to this requirement for some explosives and storage activities and for the use of certain low-hazard explosives, low-hazard pyrotechnic devices, sporting ammunition and consumer fireworks;
  • covers fireworks, pyrotechnics, propellant powders, ammunition, rocket motors and restricted components.

The Explosives Regulations provide regulations for the safe and secure handling of explosives.

Explosives Regulations, 2013
Read the Explosives Regulations, 2013 for more details about the rules related to the safe and secure handling of explosives in Canada.

Explosives security partnership
Read about Canada’s voluntary program to protect the Canadian commercial explosives supply chain using a variety of safety and security measures.

US–Canada Regulatory Cooperation Council Regulatory Partnership Statement
Read about how Canada and the US collaborate on aligning and promoting the safe management of explosives materials.

Annual Increase of Fees
Find information about CPI annual fee increases for explosive licences, permits, certificates and authorizations.

Find out more
Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: