Language selection



Acquiring and storing fireworks: Regulated quantities and locations

To acquire, store or sell fireworks, you need a dwelling, a storage unit or an explosives licence, depending on the quantity and type of explosives being handled. Anyone handling explosives must be at least 18 years of age or older unless otherwise exempted by the Explosives Act and Regulations.

Depending on the type and quantity of fireworks you plan to use or sell, different regulations will apply. Generally, you need an explosives licence to sell any quantity of display fireworks or special effect pyrotechnics, or to sell large quantities of consumer fireworks. For usage only, or for smaller quantities of consumer fireworks, the regulations vary.

Regulations for both usage and sale are shown in the table below.

Explosive Type For use For Sale Applicable Regulation
Consumer fireworks (Type F.1) Quantity Requirement Quantity Requirement   Part 16
10 kg or less Dwelling 100 kg or less Storage unit attached to dwelling
1,000  kg or less Storage unit 1,000 kg or less Storage unit
More than 1,000 kg Explosives licence More than 1,000 kg Explosives licence
Display Fireworks (Type F.2) & accessories (Type F.4) 125 kg or less; 500 or fewer electric matches Storage unit Any quantity Explosives licence Part 18
More than 125 kg; more than 500 electric matches Explosives licence
Special-effect pyrotechnics (Type F.3) & accessories (Type F.4) 25 kg or less; 500 electric matches or less Dwelling or storage unit Any quantity Explosives licence Part 17
Consumer fireworks
Read about the guidelines for acquiring and storing fireworks for recreational use, such as Roman candles, sparklers, fountains, wheels, volcanoes, mines and snakes.
Display fireworks
Read about the guidelines for acquiring and storing fireworks untended for professional use, such as aerial shells, cakes, Roman candles, waterfalls, lances and wheels.
Special effect pyrotechnics
Read about the guidelines for acquiring and storing high-hazard pyrotechnic items meant for professional use, such as gerbs, mines, comets, crossettes and special-purpose pyrotechnics for film and TV.
Find out more
Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: