Language selection


Ammunition and propellant powders

Canada has laws and requirements for ammunition and propellant powders, to keep Canadians safe and secure. Learn about manufacturing, buying, selling, importing, exporting, transporting and storing ammunition (small arms cartridges), primers (percussion caps), blank cartridges for tools and propellant powders (black and smokeless powder) safely and securely.

Consultation on explosives regulations

Canada’s explosives regulations are being updated. Learn more about the consultation process and how to participate.

Services and information

Permits, licences, certificates and regulations for ammunition and propellant powders

Requirements for manufacturing, buying, selling, storing, importing, exporting or transporting

Reporting an incident involving explosives or restricted components

How and when to report an accident or incident involving explosives

Buying, selling and storing ammunition and propellant powders

Requirements to buy, sell and store ammunition and propellant powders. Find out which licences or certificates you need

Manufacturing and authorizing explosives

Requirements for manufacturing explosives, including ammunition and propellant powders

Importing, exporting and transporting ammunition and propellant powders

Requirements to import, export and transport ammunition and propellant powders. Find out which permits you need

Contact us

Contact information for general inquiries or urgent requests related to explosives, fireworks, ammunition or restricted components.

Page details

Report a problem on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: