Compact audio products
Energy Efficiency Regulations
Compact audio product, a product that consists of an amplifier and a terrestrial tuner that are encased in a single housing — including a product that can produce sound from another media — and that uses mains power as at least one source of power and has attached or separable speakers.
Manufactured on or after January 1, 2013
For models manufactured prior, refer to the Regulations
Compliant product models
Compact audio products as listed on NRCan’s searchable database
Energy efficiency regulations by province
Some provinces also have their own energy efficiency regulations for many of the federally regulated products – find out which ones!
Energy efficiency standard
|Product type||Off mode||Standby mode|
|With display on||Without a display or with display inactive|
|Compact audio products other than clock radios||≤ 0.5 W||≤ 1 W||≤ 0.5 W|
|Clock radios||≤ 1 W||≤ 2 W||N/A|
Audio products must also be capable of entering off mode or standby mode.
- Display – a clock or other device that provides visual alphanumeric or graphical information or indicates the status of the equipment
- W – watts
Energy efficiency report requirements
- name of product
- brand name
- model number
- name of the certification body or province whose verification mark will be on the product or its package
- whether a mathematical model as defined in the Regulations was used to generate any of the information provided below
- if it has standby mode, its power consumption in that mode, expressed in watts, as applicable,
- with the information display active
- with the information display inactive
- without the information display
- period, expressed in minutes, that begins when standby mode is enabled and ends when the measurement of power consumption in that mode is completed
- if it has off mode, its power consumption, expressed in watts, in off mode
Download the energy efficiency reporting template.
This document does not constitute part of the Energy Efficiency Act (Act) or its associated regulations. This document is an administrative document that is intended to facilitate compliance by the regulated party with the Act and its associated regulations. This document is not intended to provide legal advice regarding the interpretation of the Act or its associated regulations. If a regulated party has questions about their legal obligations or responsibilities under the Act or its associated regulations, they should seek the advice of legal counsel.
- Date modified: