Digital media players
An ENERGY STAR® certified digital media player is 45% more efficient than a standard model!
Many Canadians are now streaming their video content using digital media players (also known as “over-the-top” streaming devices or streaming media players) instead of using cable or satellite services to watch television. According to a 2017 report by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, almost 60% of Canadians stream television programs online. Digital media players are inexpensive, easy to use, and quick to install.
- Most efficient device to stream content to your TV.
- Use 4 times less energy than a traditional cable/satellite set-top box.
- Use 11 times less energy than a computer to stream.
- Use 15 times less energy than a game console.
The ENERGY STAR Promise
All ENERGY STAR certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.
Start your research using the ENERGY STAR Product Finder tool to find and compare certified digital media players. (NOTE: You will be redirected to the ‘Set-Top Boxes’ product finder on the U.S. ENERGY STAR website)
- Smart TVs are the smart choice: If you are buying a new television, a smart TV uses the least amount of energy compared to other streaming devices.
- Use game consoles for gaming: A game console uses significantly more energy than a digital media player, so use your game console for gaming only and leave the streaming to other devices.
Related Blog Posts
Connect with us
Follow us on any of our social media channels for energy-efficient tips, rebates, giveaways and much more.
The ENERGY STAR name and symbol are trademarks registered in Canada by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are administered and promoted by Natural Resources Canada.
- Date modified: