Impact Canada Cleantech Challenge – Indigenous Off-Diesel Initiative (IODI) – Cohort 1
The Indigenous Off-Diesel Initiative (IODI) is an Impact Canada Initiative aimed at generating new opportunities through clean energy and energy efficiency projects in remote Indigenous communities. It supports Energy Champions and their communities with clean energy training, access to expertise and financial resources to develop and implement an ambitious plan to reduce diesel use for heat and power.
- Launch: February 2019 – Energy Champions were selected by an external Indigenous Jury in April 2019.
- Phase 1: July 2019 - Energy Champions took part in Indigneous Clean Energy’s 20/20 Catalysts Training Program, a hands-on program designed to develop the skills to maximize community social and economic benefits of clean energy initiatives. Champions received $20,000 to support community engagement and project governance activities.
- Phase 2: October 2019 – Energy Champions and their remote Indigenous communities received up to $500,000 to conduct community engagement, complete training, and develop a community energy plan.
- Phase 3: March 2022 – Energy Champions were each awarded $1.6 million in prize funding, for a total of $21.6 million, to develop their first clean energy projects.
- Phase 4: March 2023 – An additional $9 million is available to support additional clean energy project development through the Clean Energy for Rural and Remote Communities (CERRC) program.
- The IODI is delivered in collaboration with Indigenous Clean Energy Social Enterprise (ICE) and the Pembina Institute.
- The IODI was designed based on 18 months of engagement with Indigenous rights holders, Indigenous organizations and stakeholders.
Clean Energy Champions & Projects
- H̓íkila qṇts n̓ála’áx̌v (protecting our world), Heiltsuk Economic Development Corporation, Heiltsuk Nation, British Columbia – led by the Haíłzaqv Climate Action Team
- Solar North Phase 2, Old Masset New Housing Energy Efficiency, Solar South, Haida Wind, Haida Nation, Haida Gwaii British Columbia – led by Energy Champion Sean Brennan
- Advancing the Implementation of Vision 2030, Nuxalk Nation, British Columbia – led by Energy Champion Vince Robinson
- Beaufort Delta Renewable Resource Plan, Nihtat Energy Ltd., Aklavik and Inuvik, Northwest Territories – led by Energy Champion Grant Sullivan
- Community Clean Energy and Energy Efficiency Implementation, Teetl'it Gwich'in Band Council, Fort McPherson, Northwest Territories – led by Energy Champion Richard Nerysoo
- Solar PV Rooftop Installation & Hydro Feasibility Study, Deline Got'ine Government, Deline, Northwest Territories – led by Energy Champion Tim Tutcho
- Community Clean Energy Implementation , Hamlet of Kugaaruk, Nunavut – led by Energy Champion Alex Ittimangnaq
- Coral Harbour and Naujaat Solar and Energy Storage Projects, Sakku Investments Corporation, Coral Harbour and Naujaat, Nunavut – led by Energy Champion Blaine Chislett
- Gjoa Haven Clean Energy Implementation, Hamlet of Gjoa Haven, Gjoa Haven, Nunavut – led by Energy Champion Jimmy Arqviq
- Energy Efficient High Performance Residential and Commercial Buildings, ArchTech Inc., Baker Lake, Nunavut – led by Energy Champion Alex Cook
- Clean Energy Implementation, Nunatsiavut Government, Nain, Hopedale, Postville, Makkovik and Rigolet, Nunatsiavut, Newfoundland and Labrador – led by the Nunatsiavut Government
- Community Clean Energy Implementation, NunatuKavut Community Council Inc., St. Lewis and Black Tickle, NunatuKavut, Newfoundland and Labrador – led by Energy Champion Siobhan Slade
- Community of Kuujjuaq Diesel Reduction, Société Kuujjuamiut Inc., Kuujjuaq, Nunavik, Quebec – led by Energy Champion Jason Aitchison
- Kinoosao Microgrid and Retrofit Projects, Jobb Developments, Kinoosao, Saskatchewan – led by Energy Champion Tyler Jobb
Find out more
Since 2017, Natural Resources Canada has invested $75 million in six clean technology challenges under the Impact Canada Initiative: Power Forward, The Sky’s the Limit, Charging the Future, Indigenous Off-diesel Initiative, Women in Cleantech and Crush It!.
- Date modified: